Cold brew coffee BBQ sauce? Sure! Why not?!
We asked Josh from The Little Streetfood Co. to hit the kitchen and dabble with his trademark Maggie May's BBQ sauce to develop one that's richer, darker and infused with the delicious flavours of Mana Cold Brew.
What you'll need:
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp vegetable/canola any mild oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- ¹/² tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Mana cold brew
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup passata
- 1-2 chipotle chillies in adobo sauce or 2 dried chipotle/ancho/pasilla chillies ground in a spice grinder
Whatcha gotta do:
- Cook down the onion, garlic with the salt, pepper, cumin and mustard powder in the oil. Make sure you put some time into this part, otherwise it will taste of raw onion. You want the onions to be translucent, not browned so use medium heat.
- Once your onions are done, pour in the vinegar and use it to scrape up all the browned onion bits from the base of the pan then simmer for a couple of minutes. Add the coffee, sugars and passata as well as the chillies. Add them slowly to taste as different chillies have different heat levels. Chipotle chillies are lovely and smoky but boy are they hot.
- Simmer gently for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. You can leave it longer if you really want it thick! You can adjust the flavours here a bit if you want. If you want more tang, add a splash of vinegar or a squeeze of lemon or lime. Want it sweeter? Add some brown sugar.
- Once it has simmered, go at it with any blender you want. If you have cooked the onions down enough, you should get a nice smooth consistency.
Use it as a marinade for meats or a sauce to dip your BBQ delights into. Rich, tangy, with a bit of heat it's the perfect home made BBQ sauce.
If you would like the mastermind of this sauce to cater your next function or dinner party with his street food deliciousness (ranging from ceviche to sandwiches), drop us a line at email@example.com and we'll put you in touch!